Monday, March 16, 2009

Module 1_Internet Tools

1. Using the Traceroute tool from Centralops the route took 19 hops to curtin.edu.au. The average time is 253 miliseconds. Curtin IP number is 134.7.179.56.

My feeling on this excercise is that it takes a lot of self exploration to understand what I am seeing and interpretting. Ultimately I am reticent to explore or play with these sites as I am aware of the magnitude of information I may inadvertantly let out.

2. To ping takes 252.7 milliseconds.

Ping sends a message to a router to see if it is there and comes back to the sender with the information. It must take the same time as the Traceroute because it follows the same route.

3. I went to the site and tried to download the software A-toolbar 3.1, but there is just not enough information about what the software does and the down load just said 'done with errors on page'. So I am not proceeding further with this, but I assume the trace would be quicker from my computer to Curtin because we are all in the same country.

No comments:

Post a Comment